Algiz recently announced that they will be entering the rugged Tablet PC/UMPC arena, with their upcoming Algiz 8 Tablet PC. The Algiz 8 even has its own slogan, "Dedicated to Defend & Protect". That makes perfect sense considering it is designed for harsh environments and made to deliver maximum performance to mobile workforces.
Well if you like the rugged design and need a Tablet that can withstand drops, vibration and condensation, the Algiz 8 may be what you are looking for or at least be another gadget for you to check out. With an IP65 rating it is protected against dust and water and it handles extreme temperatures, from -20 C to +50 C.
Algiz 8 Features:
- Intel ULV M Processor 1.0GHz
- 512 MB – 1GB RAM DDR 333
- 40GB Hard drive
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- 8.4" SVGA TFT display, outdoor sunlight readable
- 10 function keys, onscreen QWERTY keyboard
- 2-cell hot swap battery from SAFT with S/M Bus (5800 mAh)
- Weight, 3.7lbs.
- Optional GPS
- 1 x USB 2.0
- 1 x DC power connector
- 1 x RJ45 Ethernet
- 1 x docking connector with USB interface and power
- WLAN: Integrated 802.11a/b/g
- Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
- WAN: Optional Integrated GPRS/CDMA
There is no word yet on when the Algiz 8 will be available or how much it might cost. There is no indication that it will be available to consumers in the U.S. either, since it is targeted toward special fields like the military.