On the same day it unveiled the iPad Air and iPad mini 2 with much fanfare, Apple also quietly put out iOS 7.0.3. This new version of its mobile operating system includes some new features as well as bug fixes.
Apple’s iOS 7 was a major upgrade, with the appearance and many of the functions getting revamped, so it’s not surprising that quite a few bugs were included as well. The company has released its third small update to remove some of these.
Almost lost among a host of tweaks is a fix for a well-publicized bug that made devices that are under a school’s or company’s control lose that supervision when the operating system is updated.
In addition, many should be happy that Apple also removed a bug that could allow the passcode on the Lockscreen to be bypassed.
But it wasn’t all bug fixes. The company also added a system that enables Safari to suggest passwords for secured web sites and accounts.
And new iCloud Keychain can give an iPad or iPhone owner access to their usernames, passwords, and credit card numbers across a range of Apple products.
Get It Now
There are two ways to install iOS 7.0.3. One is to hook the iPad or iPhone to a computer running iTunes. The other option allows the user to download and install the new version directly. The user just needs to go to Settings > General > Software Update.
Apple’s complete list of improvements includes.
- Adds iCloud Keychain to keep track of your account names, passwords, and credit card numbers across all your approved devices
- Adds Password Generator so Safari can suggest unique, hard-to-guess passwords for your online accounts
- Updates lock screen to delay display of “slide to unlock” when Touch ID is in use
- Adds back the ability to search the web and Wikipedia from Spotlight search
- Fixes an issue where iMessage failed to send for some users
- Fixes a bug that could prevent iMessage from activating
- Improves system stability when using iWork apps
- Fixes an accelerometer calibration issue
- Addresses an issue that could cause Siri and VoiceOver to use a lower quality voice
- Fixes a bug that could allow someone to bypass the Lock screen passcode
- Enhances the Reduce Motion setting to minimize both motion and animation
- Fixes an issue that could cause VoiceOver input to be too sensitive
- Updates the Bold Text setting to also change dial pad text
- Fixes an issue that could cause supervised devices to become un-supervised when updating software