HP today introduced its latest addition to the TouchSmart family of personal computers, the TouchSmart tx2 convertible notebook. The HP TouchSmart tx2 features a 12-inch widescreen multi-touch display, AMD processors and ATI graphics in an attractive mobile design. At last you can forget about a touchpad or mouse and simply touch the screen!
HP’s innovative notebook PC designs have earned quite a few fans over the years, and the high-gloss HP Imprint finish remains one of the most durable and attractive consumer notebook finishes on the market. The tx2’s new “Reaction” Imprint finish is an all new pattern “inspired by the circular elements found in audio equipment.”
Observant readers will notice that the overall chassis design of the new TouchSmart tx2 is virtually identical to this year’s earlier release of the HP Pavilion tx2500z. Indeed, the tx2 is essentially the same as a tx2500z tablet PC with the addition of an all new multi-touch display panel and a new Imprint finish.
A True Multi-Touch Experience
As with all HP TouchSmart PCs, the tx2 comes with TouchSmart software, which makes it easier for consumers to access digital media and entertainment. The TouchSmart software is specifically designed for multi-touch input. The touch screen allows users to interact with their computer in a unique way. The tx2 traditional Tablet PC capabilities and multi-touch entertainment features in an attractive design light enough to go anywhere. With multi-touch support within HP MediaSmart, it is the first notebook PC for consumers that enables the use of two fingers to navigate HP’s entertainment applications.
HP has developed a specific set of gestures to help you get the most from your TouchSmart
- SINGLE, DOUBLE TAP: Select objects by touching them once (single tap), or double tap to open objects/programs.
- FLICK: Scroll or pan within an application either horizontally or vertically. For example, in MediaSmart Photo, flick your finger to the left on the display and the inertia from your flick will move the photos leftward, just as if you pushed a piece of paper to the left on a table.
- PRESS & DRAG: Touch an object on the display and hold and drag it to the desired destination.
- ARC: Allows you to move tracks to/from playlists without having to make a straight line.
- PINCH: Touch an object on the display once to select the item then place 2 fingers on opposite corners of the object, then move them closer together to decrease the object’s size or to zoom out. Move fingers away from one another to enlarge the object or to zoom in.
- ROTATE: Rotate photos by touching the object once to select the item then use 2 fingers on opposite corners of the image and rotate the image either clockwise or counter-clockwise.
- LAUNCH MEDIASMART: Touch the screen with two fingers together and write the letter M on the display to launch the MediaSmart Smart Menu.
Multi-Touch Multimedia Entertainment
Providing more choices than ever, HP MediaSmart enables access to DVDs, videos, photos, music, games and Internet TV at the touch of a button. Built-in demos show you how to add music to your slide shows or videos with drag-and-drop functionality thanks to the tx2’s multi-touch display. Dual headphone jacks enable you to share films and music without disturbing others. The included Muvee Reveal software makes creating films complete with effects extremely simple. As with the HP Pavilion tx2500z, the included HP Mini Remote Control can be stored in the ExpressCard slot … making it easy to control your movies even if you can’t reach the screen to touch it.
HP TouchSmart tx2 Specifications:
- Your choice of the following processors:
- AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core Processor QL-64 (2.1 GHz)
- AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core Processor QL-62 (2.0 GHz)
- AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-74 (2.2GHz)
- AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-72 (2.1GHz)
- AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-80 (2.1GHz)
- AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-82 (2.2GHz)
- AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-84 (2.3GHz)
- AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-86 (2.4GHz)
- Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate, Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium, or Genuine Windows Vista Business
- 12.1-inch diagonal WXGA (1280 x 800), Integrated touch-screen, Convertible display
- ATI Radeon HD 3200
- Up to 8GB DDR2 SDRAM System Memory (2 SODIMM; 64-bit OS)
- 160/250/320/400/500GB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive
- SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support, or LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±RW with Double Layer Support
- 802.11b/g WLAN, 802.11b/g WLAN and Bluetooth, Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN, or Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n with Bluetooth
- Dimensions: 12.05″ x 8.82″ x 1.23″-1.52″ (with 4-cell battery)
- Weight: starting at 4.33lb
- Battery: 4-cell, 6-cell, or 8-cell options
Pricing and Availability
The HP TouchSmart tx2 will available for ordering today in the United States at www.hpdirect.com with a starting U.S. price of $1,149 and should begin shipping to consumers before the end of the month. More information about the tx2 is available at www.hp.com/go/touchsmarttx2.