Tablet PC users who are looking for ink functionality in the Mozilla Firefox browser are sure to dig trying out an “alpha” ink plug-in. Loren from Incremental Blogger has posted a download for his new utility.
Keep in mind that this is an “alpha” version of the software, so therefore there will be some bugs and oddities users will surely experience. Additionally, you will need to manually install the plug in by following the straightforward directions. Removing the plug-in is simply done by reversing the steps. The good news is this software will leave absolutely no remnants in the Windows registry or elsewhere should the user decide to remove the plug-in.
Here are the instructions posted on Incremental Blogger:
Installing the Ink Plug-in for Firefox
Currently, you’ll will need to install the ink plug-in manually. To do so follow these steps:
- Download and save the zipped file, FFInkCanvasPlugin.zip, to a temporary folder on your hard-drive.
- Extract the files in the FFInkCanvasPlugin.zip archive downloaded in Step 1. The compressed archive includes two files: npinkcanvas.dll and npinkcanvas.xpt.
- Copy the two files extracted in Step 2, to the “plugins” folder where the FireFox program is installed. Typically this is C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins. (If you have downloaded a previous version of this plug-in, you’ll need to close Firefox before copying the files.)
- Refresh this page. The inkable surface should appear.
In order for the inkable surface to work in Firefox, you will need:
- Tablet PC running Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
- Firefox browser 1.5+. This plug-in does not support Internet Explorer.
- The plug-in uses the following DLLs which may already be on your system.
Again, this is a test page for the Firefox ink plug-in. We’re using this page to check out some of the features in the plug-in. A more complete version of the plug-in will be made available later.
- After pasting ink to the plug-in, the plug-in will switch to Lasso mode.
- After Select All is chose, the plug-in will switch to Lasso mode.
- The plug-in only allows you to draw at this time. You can’t save your ink to the server.
- Undo and Redo are disabled in this version.
- Scrolling is not supported.
- Text recognition is disabled at this time.
- Only ISF ink can be pasted into the plugin. ISF formatted ink can be copied from Journal, but not OneNote.
For further info go here…