The wait for the full version of iOS 10 is over: most recent iPad and iPhone models can now download and install this new version. Users of some older but still popular models have already received their last iOS upgrade, however.
The latest version of Apple’s mobile operating system enables iPad users to display two Safari tabs next to each other. It also includes significantly updated versions of Siri, the Lock Screen, Messages, News, and more.
Not for Older iPads
Apple says that the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, the iPad Air 2 and the original Air, and the iPad 4 are able to run this new version. The same is true for the iPad mini 4 and almost all its predecessors, but the original mini can’t be upgraded. The original iPad, the second-generation model, and the iPad 3 also can’t move to iOS 10.
Tablets from this company hold their value, and a study from Localytics this spring revealed that, at that time, the first-generation iPad mini, the iPad 2, and the iPad 3 made up 41% of Apple tablets currently in use. It’s not yet known how users of these devices will react to not being able to move to iOS 10, iOS 11, etc.
Apple listed the new features in this this version in its changelog:
iOS 10 is the biggest release of iOS ever. A massive update to Messages brings the power of the App Store to your conversations and makes messaging more personal than ever. Find your route with beautifully redesigned Maps. Relive memories like never before in Photos. Use the power of Siri in more apps than ever. A new Home app to make controlling your home even easier. And all-new Music and News.
iOS 10 introduces new features and improvements including:
- Messages lets you express yourself in new ways and access your favorite apps right in your conversations
- Siri now works with apps from the App Store to send messages, make phone calls, and more
- Maps comes with an all new look and extensions to make reservations and book a ride
- Photos is all-new with intelligent search making it easier to find people, places and more as well as new and beautiful ways to rediscover your memories
- Home is a new app that lets you simply and securely manage your home automation products in one place
- Apple Music has an all-new design, bringing greater clarity and simplicity to every aspect of the experience
- Apple News has an all-new design adding bold typography, vibrant color, and distinct sections that make it easier to find stories on specific topics
- Accessing the information you need is easier and quicker with a redesigned Lock Screen and deeper 3D Touch integration
- QuickType keyboard adds new emoji, multi-lingual typing, and contextual predictions that leverage deep neural network technology
- Suggested events and contact details are added to apps based on information found in Mail