As usual this time of year, rumors of what new devices and services will be introduced by Apple at next week’s Macworld show become louder and louder. Last year, the iPhone was the oft-rumored and ultimately confirmed device. This year, what is supposedly a leaked transcript of Steve Jobs’ keynote speech reveals the MacTouch.
This could finally be the long awaited Apple tablet model? According to this unconfirmed and somewhat dubious information, the MacTouch will be a dual-screen, laptop-like device that combines properties from Apple’s MacBook and iPhone devices.
The MacTouch will supposedly contain such features as:
- Two 9-inch multi-touch-sensitive widescreens, both with a resolution of (1280 x 854)
- A two-way folding/sliding, dual-screen, multi-position design with magnetic clasps
- Solid State Drive (SSD)
- The ability to run most existing Mac OS X apps when in dual screen mode; Second screen becomes the keyboard and touchpad
- iPhone-like dashboard when in single screen mode
- Multi-touch sensitive version of iPhoto
- Other features such as Bluetooth, 802.11b/g, USB 2.0, optical/analogue, audio in/out, built in speakers and microphone
This rumored information does not indicate when the MacTouch will be released, or what it will cost.
Bring on the Salt
Every year, in the weeks just before Macworld, rumors of what Steve Jobs will unveil make the rounds. Sometimes these have a grain of truth, but more often they are the products of someone’s imagination.
Still, there have been quite a few unconfirmed reports that say Apple is prepping some kind of device larger than an iPhone but smaller than a MacBook. Considering the impact that Apple has had on the computing industry recently, something just might be up Steve Jobs’ sleeve, even if it’s not exactly what rumors have indicated, but an iTablet would be nice.
- Apple May Be Planning a Replacement for the Newton
- Apple Might Be Prepping an iTablet
- Visions of a MacBook touch