Sony has updated their VAIO UX UMPC device with the new VAIO UX490. The VAIO UX490 has two updates: it now has an Intel Core 2 Solo processor (instead of Core Solo) and a 48GB flash hard drive instead of the previous 32GB drive. The outside look remains the same.
The VAIO UX490 runs on Windows Vista Business. It is touchscreen and stylus sensitive, but does not have active pen input. Wacom tablet style input just doesn’t make sense for this small a device. What it does have is a lot of features for a device that weighs 1.2lbs and can (just about) fit in your pocket. Following are the full specs of the VAIO UX490:
- 4.5-inch LCD touch screen display with hidden keyboard
- 1.2GHz Ultra Low Voltage Intel Core 2 Solo U2200 processor
- 48GB flash drive
- 1GB RAM
- Wireless: Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g), wireless Wide Area Network (WWAN) using AT&T Edge, Bluetooth connectivity
- Ports: 1 USB port, 1 Ethernet port, microphone in, audio out
- Weight: 1.2lbs
- Size: 1.5 inches, 5.91 inches, 3.74 inches
- Bluetooth GPS Receiver included
- Extra extended life battery bundled
The Bluetooth GPS receiver and extended life battery extra are definitely nice bonuses that come with the UX490. But at a price of $2,499.99, you might expect a few "extras". Though it’s light in the hand, the VAIO UX490 isn’t light on the wallet.