For those of you who like to take handwritten notes or doodle on your Tablet PC, PhatWare has answered your requests. They recently released PhatPad 4.1 for Tablet and Pocket PCs, which lets users draw pictures, jot text notes or put a mixture of pictures and typed text on a virtual scratch pad.
It takes no time to download the software and in minutes you can be scribbling away. The updated version offers many new features like vertical and horizontal auto scrolling, a customizable toolbar and it supports Windows Vista.
PhatPad has multiple user interface themes, which give the user a chance to choose their background.
The new features of PhatPad 4.1 make it stand out compared to your standard note taking software. I especially liked the shape recognition tool because I felt like an artist. I mean who can draw perfect shapes. This tool lets the user draw certain shapes like a square, circle or triangle and it will adjust the shape to have perfect lines. You have to remember not to lift your pen off the screen though because the software will not recognize lines drawn separately, it has to be one fluid motion. I admit it took me a few times to get it, but once you do your drawings are perfect.
PhatPad shape recognition in action, I can’t draw perfect circles and check those out.
You can change the color of your pen when inking and the width of the line, which is a neat feature. I also like that you can erase mistakes with the eraser option or with your pen. You can add text into your handwritten document as well, which is good for us users who have unreadable handwriting.
Simple writing on PhatPad 4.1. You can change the color or pen widths.
New features of PhatPad 4.1:
- Allows to load background images
- Allows toolbar customization
- Supports handwriting recognition (PenOffice and/or CalliGrapher software is required, Tablet PC recognizer can also be used)
- Supports vertical and horizontal auto scrolling
- Allows to mix digital text, handwriting and drawing on the same page
- Supports document templates
- Supports printing (Desktop/Tablet PC)
- Supports document password protection with 265-bit encryption
- Includes 7 UI themes (Desktop/Tablet PC)
- Includes new bring to front/send to back commands
- Includes spell checker for Desktop PC
- Allows changing page order in the PhatPad document
- Allows notes animation with new Animation feature
- Includes multiple customizable toolbars
- Includes new File and Page managers for Pocket PC
- Includes new Pocket PC Today screen add-on
- Supports Windows Mobile 5.0
- Supports Windows Vista
PhatPad 4.1 still offers your standard editing commands such as Undo, Redo, Cut, Copy, Paste, 25%-200% zoom and special Fit to Screen mode. You can also choose the Draw, Select, Erase and Change modes. It is nice to have so many choices when setting up your document, but I am sure some users won’t bother with it since they are probably just using PhatPad to draw or jot down notes. Although it is helpful for users on the go because you can export your notes and drawings as bitmap, JPEG or PNG images, email them as file attachments and transfer them between Pocket PCs via infrared. Now that saves time.
PhatWare has brought many good improvements to PhatPad 4.1, which I am sure users will appreciate. It supports Vista, handwriting recognition software and the voice notes are a great organization tool. I loved being able to record my own voice reminders. There are so many different options to choose from when editing, jotting down notes or just drawing that some may be overwhelmed, but I like having choices because that is what gives it that personal touch.
- Easy to use
- Shape recognition tool
- Record your own voice notes
- So many options may be overwhelming
- Keeping Tablet pen down on screen when writing because words and shapes become distorted.
PhatPad 4.1 is available now for a special offer price of $34.95 and PhatWare is also running a special combo price for software sets. For more information click here.